There are some big movers this week after scores from Jancis Robinson (log in required), Rene Gabriel (the renowned Swiss German critic) and others. The chart is settling down a little but there are quite big variations in scores from critic to critic (just click on a wine name to see for yourself).
Why? Well, different tastes and different samples may account for the variance but I do feel that some just don’t understand Sauternes as well as others and I suspect that for a few Sauternes is a bit of an afterthought when compared to the red wines as it can be with wine merchants and consumers as well. I hope I am wrong but fear not!
For our part we remain of the opinion that the 2010 vintage is another great vintage – different in style but equally as fine in quality as its predecessor, 2009. Some of these properties have produced their best wines ever in the last two years and they are still getting indifferent marks – the record seems to be stuck! Quite why de Fargues, Raymond Lafon and Sigalas Rabaud are being scored so low I cannot understand and no one has recognised, for example, the fantastic progress made by de Malle this year!
See all the scores and tasting notes for yourself by clicking on a wine name – Enjoy! Bill Blatch
2. L’Extravagant de Doisy Daene (2) – Down from Number 1 but based on only 3 scores so far (most wines have 6-11 scores averaged out)!
(8) & Rieussec
(6=) – Down Three for Climens but still just 2 scores as the wine has to be tasted from barrel – Guiraud & Rieussec Both Up!
(5) – A Faller in the Top Ten – Down 3!
(14) – Down One Place!
16. de Fargues
(15) – Moving Down – why this isn’t higher up the charts we can’t understand!
(18) – Down 1 after Last Week’s Big Rise!
(24=) – Progress This Week!
24. Broustet (26=) – Up 2 Places!
(19) – A Big Faller!
26. Les Justices (20=) – Another Big Faller (but only 3 scores so far)!
(-) – Straight into the Charts – but based on just 2 scores!
30. Romer (-) – Another New Entry!
34. Suau (28=) – Down 6 Places!